Self-Care Back to School Style
Summer is quickly drawing to a close and stores are putting out their “back to school” supplies, uniforms and backpacks. Happy parents can be found perusing these items, while their usually sullen offspring trail behind. After the kids get on the bus, many parents feel that they can finally exhale and take some time for themselves.
Contrary to popular belief, self-care doesn’t require a large amount of time. The payoffs, however, are great. In as little as 15 minutes, a world-weary mom or dad can recharge and gather more energy and enthusiasm to face the day. Some quick activities for self-care are listed below:
- Enjoy a long, hot bubble bath
- Read a chapter or two in a “just-for-me” book (no reading for work)
- Write a letter to a friend, snail mail style
- Take a power nap
- Watch an episode of a favorite 30-minute television show
- Do a 15-minute yoga routine
- Write in a journal or diary
- Draw, paint or color a picture
- Complete a crossword puzzle
While these suggestions are easily done in a 15 – 30 minute timeframe, scheduled “me time” activities such as massage and manicures are important, too. If Mom and Dad take care of themselves first, they will have more to offer to their kids and the world.