As the owner of Divalysscious Moms, a luxury lifestyle company for mothers and families, and the mother of two young children (Jackson, 7, and Oliver, 4), I am frequently asked how I balance motherhood, business and “me” time. Here are my recommended ingredients.
1. Children Come First. That means any emails or calls can wait until the children are settled. When your children feel secure, everything works better.
2. Prioritize. Start your work before your children wake. Lessen your pain with a jumbo cup of coffee!
3. Have a routine. Having breakfast with my boys, taking them to school, eating together, reading and snuggle-time are crucial.
4. Have a “Mommy Time Out”. Moms who run their own businesses also need “time out.” As they say if mom isn’t happy, no one is. Take ten minutes to meditate, get a massage, or phone a friend to rejuvenate and preserve your sanity.
5. Delegate. Being a mom and business owner gives you the right to delegate, which means surrounding yourself with a team of positive, dedicated, high energy people. My husband is my biggest supporter. We both work, and we make our schedules coordinate with the kids’ as best we can. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! It’s always better than having a meltdown.